Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A little liner.

Today is my first ever makeup tutorial! Well, I suppose it's my first tutorial in general. Anyways, as most of you know, I do hair/makeup for a living, and love getting to play around and create new looks. And what better reason is there to play around with makeup than to share one of my favorite looks with my friends? 
This tutorial is a little bit of a twist on a classic black liner look. I recently saw a picture of Lauren Conrad in a magazine wearing her signature black winged liner, but was also wearing a small amount of white liner with it. It was love at first sight. I was totally inspired to come up with my own version of her eye look, and I've been wearing the look almost everyday since. Now, I know what you're thinking. " White eyeliner, Kelsey? As in what I wore when I was 12 along with my roll-on glitter eye shadow?" Don't worry, friends. This a classy and modern way to wear white on your eyes.
Are you ready? Here we go!
Here's what I used:
-MAC's paint pot in Soft Ochre.
-MAC's eye shadow in Blanc Type.
-Rimmel's kohl eyeliner in white.
-Maybelline's Ultra Liner in black. (Used with a Sonia Kashuk eyeliner brush)
-Prestige's My Blackest Lashes mascara in black.
-Shu Uemera eyelash curler.

Note: You can use whatever products you like, these are just what I had around. You can even spice it up with a pretty plum or bronze liner!

 Step One:
Apply an eye shadow base all over your lid. This helps even out the skin tone on your eyelids and also helps your eye shadow stay put.
Step two: From the lash line to the brow bone, apply a matte neutral eye shadow all over your eyelid. This creates a lovely blank canvas and really helps the eyeliner stand out.
Step three: Line your lash line with a white eyeliner. Make the liner a bit on the thicker side, so that you have plenty of it to work with. Also, don't worry too much about it being neat. You can always go back with a q-tip to clean it up later.

Step Four: Now here is where you get to be a bit creative. By choosing the shape and thickness of your black liner, you can control the amount of the white liner that you want to see. I like the white to be visible from the inner corner of my eye to about the middle of my eye, so I gradually made my liner thicker on the corners to cover that bit of white. I choose a bit of a dramatic winged shape, but this look is beautiful even with a thin and simple black line.
Step Five: Line your water line with a small amount of the same white eyeliner. Don't make it too opaque, but add just enough to brighten your eyes. This is one of my favorite ways to make eyes look really awake and open. Then, curl your lashes and apply a few coats of your favorite mascara. This is a good time to make sure any white that got on your lashes is covered up with your mascara.
Throw on a bit of blush and lip gloss, and you're finished. Wasn't that easy? Your eyes will look big and bright, and all around amazing. I really have been wearing this look a lot. I'm pretty boring with my eye makeup, (winged liner + mascara) and love this slight little update on my daily routine. The white is very subtle, and really acts more like a highlight than anything. But it really makes a difference when compared to black liner on it's own. Also, since this look is so neutral, it looks great with any lip color. Some of my current favorites are bright reds and berries. 
Hope you guys liked this little tutorial of mine. If you decide to try it, let me know how you like it! I'd love to share a few more tips in the future. 

Happy Wednesday! 

xoxoKelsey.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE. I love the suggestion and will totally try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty! I had no idea how to do this! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best. Thanks for the love :).