Tuesday, May 24, 2011

(Do the) mashed potato.

Last week, I went out on a limb and decided to create a healthier mashed potato recipe. I love love love mashed potatoes, but I know that the amount of butter, salt, and milk added to most versions of the dish is definitely not something that follows our diet. So, tada! Here is my own version of healthier mashed potatoes, that taste really rich and creamy without the fat!

First...you need some potatoes (obviously). I used four small red potatoes, and it was more than enough for Ian and me.
Clean the potatoes, and then pierce them with a fork a few times to release steam. Put them in the microwave for about 10 minutes, or until they are soft and cooked thoroughly.
Now, you can bake the potatoes in the oven, of course. But I was short on time, and my oven is ancient and takes forever to cook anything. 
See? Ancient. It even has an electrical outlet on it. I love that it's old, but it definitely makes cooking things very time consuming. 

After your potatoes are cooked, you get to do the most important part. The mashing! I chose to leave the skins on the potatoes, as it is full of vitamins and fiber and I love the texture it gives the dish. 
These are the ingredients I added to my potatoes. I used about a tablespoon of minced garlic, and a few spoonfuls of fat free sour cream. Who doesn't like garlic mashed potatoes?? The sour cream takes place of most of the butter and salt, and gives the potatoes an amazing creamy and tart flavor. 
I added a very small amount of butter, but just enough to add a little flavor. So after I mashed the potatoes until they were smooth and free of any lumps, I added a bit of pepper to taste, and voila!
Amazing and healthy mashed potatoes. No salt, no milk, and only the slightest bit of butter. 
I had to try really hard not to eat the entire bowl before Ian got home. 

Making these potatoes is very simple, and great for other people like me who find the kitchen a bit daunting at times. Try them out, and let me know how you like them!

I'm defintely starting to resemble Betty Crocker more and more with each meal. Good thing she's a pretty lady.
xoxoKelsey.

1 comment:

  1. Those sound amazing! You and I should cook dinner for Ian and Derek some time! That would be SO much fun! I love you! Rachael

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best. Thanks for the love :).